Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Way To Go Joe!

I have moved this from the comment section to the front page because I want to make sure everyone gets a chance to read it. LWJ is one of our best commentors and loyal readers.

I admire Olbermann's stamina. At this point, after 5 and 1/2 years, I find myself suffering from outrage fatigue. Nothing that this President or his administration says or does shocks me anymore. The fact that the President of the United States is actively lobbying Congress to edit the Geneva Conventions, with the purpose of exonerating and expediting torture, is pretty freakin' outrageous, but all I can manage is... I don't know; bemusement? Mild embarrassment? I just feel like I've been beaten down by the endless dishonesty, greed, brutality and smug, arrogant condescension of Bush, Cheney and their cronies.

This administration just doesn't care what 2/3rds of this country's citizens or what the rest of the world thinks of them (and by extention, of us). They don't care that nearly 3000 servicemen and women have died in order to line the pockets of the Defense Industry's CEOs. They don't care that 100,000 or so Iraqis have been killed in their illicit war. They don't care that they have utterly destroyed our reputation abroad. They don't care whether the rest of the world is "shocked and awed" at our military strength (i.e. our ability to kill people and destroy property) or shocked and appalled at our willingness to detain prisoners indefinitely without charge or trial, and to torture them while we're at it...

Well, maybe I have a little outrage left after all. Man, I hope we can get a Congressional and/or Senate majority in November. If not, were going to continue to get the government we deserve, and deserve the government we get.

Lost Wages Joe

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, even though it's far from a beautiful topic!

    Sooner or later, the American voters are going to have to put a stop to this crap. It's just a matter of how far the country has to decline before enough heads are removed, like champagne corks, from their respective butts!

    As with LWJ, I'm a little tired of thinking we've bottomed out, only to find that it's only a brief plateau before the next dropoff.

    Hey, that reminds me: I should go diving again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for rubbing it in.

    The diving that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, don't swim over any stingrays seenos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:52 PM

    Thanks.

    Maybe this time we have bottomed-out. My new work-neighbor (I had to change desks today; I HATE changing desks) tells me that according to an article in the Financial Times, the reason Bush had to move those terror suspects to Guantanamo is because the CIA refused to continue to torture them! What, were their arms getting tired? Were they getting "prune hands" from holding the suspects' heads under water?

    My dream; a Democratic landslide in November, followed by Congressional investigations, followed by impeachment, followed by a one-way ticket to the Hague to stand trial for War Crimes. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

    ReplyDelete