Thursday, June 26, 2008

Rock, Paper, Scissors?

I finally had the chance to hear John Woo and David Addington speak today, during questioning by the House Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Subcommittee. If I thought they were contemptible on paper, I now realize that I had no idea how contemptible until actually hearing the words coming out of their mouths!

I was only able to watch a short segment of the questioning, but fortunately I got to see this exchange, as John Conyers desperately tries to find a “yes or no” question that Yoo will answer with a “yes” or “no.”



I guess it’s reassuring to know that Yoo has never advised the president that he “can bury somebody alive!” I suppose that’s something to be proud of!

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see the questioning by one of my favorite House members, Steve Cohen of Tennessee, which included one of the quotes of the day in this exchange:



However, this time I think Cohen missed the mark by referring to the vice president as a “barnacle” attached to the legislative branch. A barnacle is way too neutral and harmless; I would have gone with “tick” instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment