Thursday, September 04, 2008

Random Thoughts on McCain’s Speech

Obviously, based on the tasteless video that kicked off the evening, the first McCain-Palin “reform” effort is not going to involve a break from the party practice of exploiting 9-11.

At first, when I saw that the huge lawn backdrop zoomed into another flat green screen, I thought “what a bunch of idiots!” But then it hit me that with his official acceptance of the nomination, McCain’s spending is now limited by public financing restrictions. Perhaps the green screen was just his desperate effort to get free exposure by having his speech played over and over as a part of hundreds of YouTube videos.

I really tried to listen carefully to the whole speech, but I just couldn’t do it. I faded out somewhere around the time the backdrop switched from lime green to sky blue, but before I did, I think I actually had a brief moment of understanding what it must have been like to have been tortured for 5 ½ years.

Seriously, this speech was so uninspiring compared to the excitement, if not honesty, of Sarah Palin’s speech last night; that if I were a Republican, the only thing that would get me off my couch to go vote on Election Day is the thought that McCain might croak and leave Palin as president.

Question: Why is it that the party that constantly boasts about its superior national security credentials can’t even keep a nutjob with a pink dress and a wig from disrupting their candidate’s acceptance speech?



Answer: He blended in!

No comments:

Post a Comment