Monday, February 27, 2006

Does Scalia Support Drinking and Hunting? [Updated]

Gee, here’s an interesting story in the aftermath of Dick Cheney shooting a man in the face. With much speculation over possible alcohol use being the reason behind the lengthy delay in reporting the incident, and with conflicting stories already circulating on the matter, here’s Supreme Court Justice, Antonin Scalia, giving a speech about the glory of hunting to what appears to be a fraternal drinking organization!


The best thing avid outdoorsmen can do for the sport of hunting is to attack the stereotype that guns are only used for evil purposes, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia told the National Wild Turkey Federation's annual convention yesterday.

I wonder if Cheney has sent him out on a promotional tour in order to build up a level of tolerance for drinking and hunting! How long before he gives the same speech to the National Jack Daniels Society, or the Fraternal Order of Old Overholt?

Oh, what’s that you say? The National Wild Turkey Federation is a hunting organization? OK, then it all makes sense. He really is just trying to show that guns aren’t only used for evil purposes (ie: like shooting a man in the face,) but are also used to promote goodness and joy in the world . . .

. . . like shooting this guy in the face!




[Update] CNN has this version of the story, which includes the following beauty:

This month, a lawyer hunting with Cheney in Texas was wounded when he stepped in the way as Cheney fired at a bird.

Stepped in the way! Eventually, I’m expecting the story to morph into one where Whittington actually pulled the trigger himself! Then again, looking at the following picture, I can see how Cheney might have made the mistake if he had been hunting for wild turkey. There is a slight resemblance, particularly in the neck area!



[Update II] I realize that it wasn't very nice of me to say that Harry Whittington looks like a turkey! It just sort of happened. It was an accident. And afterward, as I looked over at the picture of Harry, looking like a turkey, it was one of my worst days - at that moment.

I've been through a lot, and I'm ready to move on to the priorities facing this blog. That's why I'm now waiting for Mr. Whittington to relieve me of my burden and ease the strain on my family - by apologizing, for looking like a turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment