Monday, January 09, 2006

A Deep Breath

With all of the scandals, investigations, indictments and guilty pleas in Washington these days it is easy to get caught up in the excitement. I find myself surfing the “internets” with added intensity, hitting refresh time and again hoping that one more click will reveal details of yet another Republican’s demise.

But today, instead of sitting in front of my TV with laptop in hand glued to the first day of the Alito confirmation hearings, I did something really good.

I went cross country skiing!

It was a beautiful, sunny day in the Sierra Nevada. The crowds were small, the snow was great and the views even greater. And as I skied through pine forests and around a frozen lake I realized that even though we still have a huge mountain to climb, in the last few months there has been significant progress.

I understand that the Republicans still control the Executive Branch, the House and the Senate. And, as we all know, the Judicial Branch currently hangs in the balance. But lately, I’ve sensed something in air that seems hopeful - like it might be a sign. However, I haven’t been able to put my finger on it.

But, at the edge of this beautiful frozen lake - I took a long, deep breath and finally figured it out.

Sometimes you just have to stop and smell the Republicans.

Libby – Indicted
Delay – Indicted & forced to step down as Majority leader
Abramoff – Plead Guilty
Scanlon – Plead Guilty
Cunningham – Plead Guilty and resigned


The next few months should be full of more beautiful bouquets of Republicans. Make sure that you take time to breathe it all in.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:26 AM

    Beautifully put. I shall definitely take the time to breathe it all in. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I want to do that when I'm out enjoying nature. When I stop and smell the Republicans, that's when I know it's time to clean out the refrigerator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:56 AM

    Mmmmmmm... Smells like limburger!

    ReplyDelete