Sunday, January 01, 2006

My New Year’s Resolution.

As I drifted off to sleep early this morning, with the room slightly spinning, I had an idea for a post that seemed both incredibly important and seemingly unrecognized by anyone in the MSM or the blogosphere. I would wake up and begin my year by scooping the world with insights about domestic spying, a pending Justice Department investigation into the identity of the person who leaked information about the NSA program, and the questionable legality of these activities authorized by George Bush. It all seemed so perfect as I lay on the merry-go-round that was my bed. And then everything went dark.

I woke up – at about noon – completely exhausted and unable to form a complete thought, let alone remember the detailed logic of my semiconscious reasoning from the night before. Something about whistles and prisons and burning bushes? I couldn’t recall. I stumbled through the afternoon, trying to eat something to settle my turning stomach - without much luck. Howling winds and rain pounded my house and I had to drag myself out into the storm several time to batten down the hatches in the yard. It was about all I could do.

Then I started to remember having some sort of idea about writing something for Left-Over. Relieved that I was able to remember anything, I fired up the computer to scan the news and hope it would jog my memory about the details of my idea. And then I read about Charles Shumer (D-N.Y.) making statements about the difference between whistleblowers and felons and how any investigation of the leak to the NYT will require a determination on the legality of the activities authorized by Bush and the motives of the leaker.

Damn! Shumer scooped me! All because I was too drunk and lazy to write down my idea right when it hit me. Well, never again! My New Year’s resolution is that I’m going to write down my ideas and post them as soon as I think of them. No more sleeping on an idea. No more waiting around for the blood-alcohol content to subside. "Just write, baby!" is my new motto.

Then again, If I add this to the list of New Year’s resolutions I have been keeping religiously since I made them, the list would include, um, this one item. And I'm sure next year I will again be starting a new list!

Oh well, at least I can be glad that Shumer’s on the ball!

5 comments:

  1. Great statements by Shumer. All the Dems need frame it that way. We can't let them muddy the water by making this leak and the Plame leak seem like the same thing.

    My hope is that this leaker just comes forward and talks on the record. Wouldn't that be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, I can't let you do that.

    Friends don't let friends blog drunk.

    I've had the same experience, it's soooo frustrating.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started researching the text of the federal whistleblower laws in order to see how they might apply to this situation. Unfortunately, it was difficult to make the connection because the laws don't seem to apply to anonymous leaks. For protections to apply, the whistleblower must come forward. Hopefully this one will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:09 AM

    Glad you wrote on New Years Day and weren't caught in a flash flood somewhere. Investigating one leak at a time. Don't forget to check the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:17 AM

    I suspect that if friends really could stop friends from drunk blogging, the blogosphere would be a much smaller and less amusing place. Have another beer, seenos (a fine microbrew, no doubt) and blog away!

    ReplyDelete