Thursday, January 26, 2006

When Bush Talks - People Get Confused


I only caught some of George's hastily called news conference this morning but what I did hear is even more ridiculous when you read it. Here are a couple of lowlights:

Q They were domestic calls --


THE PRESIDENT: No, domestic outside -- we will not listen inside this country. It is a call from al Qaeda, al Qaeda affiliates, either from inside the country out, or outside the country in, but not domestically.
Huh?

Q Mr. President, though -- this is a direct follow up to that -- the FISA law was implemented in 1978 in part because of revelations that the National Security Agency was spying domestically. What is wrong with that law if you feel you have to circumvent it and, as you just admitted, expand presidential power?


THE PRESIDENT: May I -- if I might, you said that I have to circumvent it. There -- wait a minute. That's a -- there's something -- it's like saying, you know, you're breaking the law. I'm not. See, that's what you've got to understand. I am upholding my duty, and at the same time, doing so under the law and with the Constitution behind me. That's just very important for you to understand.

Secondly, the FISA law was written in 1978. We're having this discussion in 2006. It's a different world. And FISA is still an important tool. It's an important tool. And we still use that tool. But also -- and we -- look -- I said, look, is it possible to conduct this program under the old law? And people said, it doesn't work in order to be able to do the job we expect us to do.
And so that's why I made the decision I made. And you know, "circumventing" is a loaded word, and I refuse to accept it, because I believe what I'm doing is legally right.
So, Bush is "circumventing" the law, because it is an old law and some "people" said it doesn't work. But it is all OK - because George believes what he is doing is "legally" right.

We have to Impeach this SOB!

2 comments:

  1. You know, the 13th amendment to the constitution, outlawing the involuntary servitude of persons within the United States, is a hella-old law. That was 1865, this is 2006. Likewise, suffrage. The 19th Amendment is waaaaaay old. 1920? Come on, this is 2006. We have to get rid of these old laws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although he says he's a "born-again christian," apparently Bush feels that he doesn't need to follow the ten commandments either.

    Thou shalt not steal?

    Thou shalt not kill?

    Hey, it's 2006 and those were written back when all they had were stone tablets!

    ReplyDelete